The SCAE, Specialty Coffee Association of Europe, is the organization that sets, at European level, the professional standards for those who want to dive into the world of coffee and coffee shops. If this organization, based in London, is moving at an European level, its certifications are recognized worldwide, thanks to connections with the “sisters” organization Specialty Coffee Association of Australia and the eponymous American.
As you can understand by downloading the brochure of the organization, structure SCAE his training in six areas:
- Coffee Introduction
- Barista skills (techniques of work in coffee shops)
- Green Coffee (knowledge and selection of coffee beans, especially for those interested in roasting)
- Roasting (for those who want to pursue a career in the world of roasting, and for the coffee fanatics!)
- Tasting (for coffee sommelier)
- Brewing (alternatives methodes, filter, aeropress, V60 and…)
Each area is divided into three levels of certification:
- Foundation: is the certification for those who do not have prior experience working at the bar counter. It certifies at European level the skills to prepare an espresso and a cappuccino, basic knowledge of coffee blends,grind setting, understand what defects may have an espresso and being able to recognize them and, finally, to know how to froth properly the milk for cappuccino .
- Intermediate: This level certifies a high level of expertise and is dedicated to those who have experience at the counter. Certifies the ability to make latte art, set and maintain the equipment, recognize, looking at the beans, various coffee and understand how they can influence the taste of a cup, and, also, the ability to properly prepare, in six minutes, a wide range of preparations chosen “blindly” by the examiner.
- Professional: This is the highest level, reserved for those who intends to propose themselves in the field of training or/and competitions. Among the elements of the certification, knowledge of the various technologies of machines and coffee grinders, understand how a water at different temperatures and different minerals can vary the taste of the espresso and be able to evaluate the amount of solute dissolved in a espresso. Knowing scientifically the milk frothing, how to make latte art with a good standard and, finally, management skills and bar business.
Each SCAE certification gives a score for the Scae Diploma System.
For more information about SCAE and his world, you can directly visit its official website.
In our school you can undergo the exam for the SCAE certification with our authorized trainers. Course participants wishing to take part in the SCAE certifications are requested to inform us at the time of enrollment. Anyone wishing to take part in the certification is requested to monitor and evaluate before the required capabilities in this certifications sheets to see if the level is in line with expectations and experiences.