THE COMPLETE COFFEE ROUTE. -BARISTA -ROASTING -BREWING -TASTING
A very complete trail in coffee. We start from the green coffee beans, to the Italian barista technique regarding espresso extraction, cappuccino and latte art. Then the coffee brewing, the coffee cupping and the evaluation of the extraction with SCA parameters, we continue with roasting and a lot of practical exercises. A very deep five days long journey into the coffee world! At the end the possibility to take part to the SCA Certifications!
- September 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd. 2017 (fully booked)
- October 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th. 2017
- October 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31th. 2017
The complete course is five days long, always from 10 am to 5.30pm. Of course is possible to decide to take part only to the days of interest
This course is held in Florence, Tuscany, Italy, a few minutes of tram
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE -DAY ONE: BARISTA BASIC
- What is coffee, a bit of history and, knowledge of the different species : Arabica, robust and other hybrids.
- The coffee process: picking, stripping, mild and dry method.
- Introduction to roasting and blending. Visit to a roasting plant.
- Tasting of a good and a bad espresso, tasting different arabicas and robustas, finding differences.
- The preparation of espresso , dosing, grinding and tamping.
- The Cappuccino in theory and in practice. Milk frothing: the SCAE standards, more or less frothy, more or less hot.
- The classic Italian preparations: latte macchiato, caffèlatte, espresso macchiato , shaked coffee etc.
- An introduction to the brewing world: V60, Aeropress and other methods…
- Knowledge and cleaning of the espresso machines. Descaling, backflushing, cleaning of the grinder.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY TWO: BARISTA ADVANCED
- What are the barista and latte art championships. Regulation and competitions.
- Introduction to professional coffee tasting: the SCAE evaluation boards, testing of several coffees in single origin, from Mexico Altura to Java to the spicy taste of the Ethiopian Sidamo.
- Practical test machine: find the right grinding degree and make a correct espresso.
- The latte art. Video, the “dry” technique and a lot of practice for the pouring of the rosetta, the heart, tulips the new rainbow cappuccinos and…
- From the world of the coffee cocktails to the new frontiers, from mocaccino to hot and icy very new proposals…
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY THREE: BREWING
- Introduction to the new world of coffee brewing: brew ratio, timing of pour, turbulence, temperatures and other parameters.
- The best coffees for brewing
- The concept of TDS and the use of the refractometer.
- The various tools of brewing: Aeropress, V60, french press, Chemex, cold drip.
- Basic practice with these tools.
- Extractions aeropress and V60 with various coffee roasted for filter
- Modifying the grinding, brew ratio and temperature; evaluating how these parameter modify the organoleptic sensations in the cup.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY FOUR: COFFEE ROASTING
- Characteristics, evaluation and defects of the green coffee with the SCAE parameters.
- Theory of roasting: different temperatures for different coffees, the roasting curves and profiles, methods of heat transfer, First Crack & Second Crack.
- The Italian coffee roasting. Practical exercises of roasting with the colorimetric system of evaluation.
- Tasting of a light and a dark roasted coffee.
- Blending: create our own blend starting from our taste or the taste of our clients. Tasting of good and a “not very good” coffees already sold in the market.
- Creating a first simple blend with two different single origine coffees.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY FIVE: TASTING
- The aim of the coffee tasting. The organs of sense involved in coffee tasting: eyes, nose, mouth.
- What is, and how to use a coffee tasting sheet.
- Tasting Espresso, filter, brewing
- The phases of the coffee tasting: visual, olfactory, assessing, tactile and aftertaste.
- Acidity, bitterness, sweetness, mouthfeel and aromas: the use of professional terminology.
- What is it the cupping, the professional system of coffee tasting.
- Cupping of several coffees in single origine: from the robustas to the best washed arabicas…
- Tasting of several espresso in singe origine and blended.
- A little competition of cupping?
DAY SIX: eventual SCA certifications.
It is possible to attend the complete route or just the days of interest. The cost of the different modules are:
- barista (2 days) 130€
- roasting (150€)
- brewing (150€)
- tasting (150€)
We are pleased to offer a discount to who wants to take part to 4 or more days lowering the total cost of the 5 days Coffee Route from 680€ to 590€.
**During, and at the end of the five days is possible to book several exams for SCA certifications. The Barista Skill Foundation and Intermediate is held at the end of the Barista second day. The certifications Roasting and Sensory Foundation are instead held the sixth day. Read about costs and rules in this page.
If you need to book a Roasting or Sensory Intermediate or Professional exam, or a Green Coffee or Brewing exam of every leve let us know, we can organise it with our authorised trainers.
Fields marked with * are mandatory