This course is a very deep dive into the coffee world, a real route from the bean to the cup. Five days in Florence in a roasting company, speaking, practicing and smelling about coffee. At the end of the days is possible to attend to the SCAE (Speciality Coffee Association of Europe) certifications.
- February 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. 2017
- March 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th. 2017
- April 19th, 20th, 21th, 22th and 23th, 2017
The course is held in Florence, Tuscany, a few minutes of tram from the main train station of Santa Maria Novella. The Course is valid for the preparation of the SCAE certifications and is possible to take part in the SCAE exams at the end of the courses.
It is possible to attend the complete route or just the days of interest. The cost of the different modules are:
- barista (2 days) 200€
- roasting (130€)
- brewing (130€)
- tasting (130€)
We are pleased to offer a discount of the 10% to who wants to take part to 4 or more days.
At the end of the first two days it’s possible to attend the exams for the Barista Foundation and/or Intermediate SCAE certifications.
For who wants to, is possible to organize, in a 6th days, the Foundation certifications of Roasting, Sensory, Green and Brewing.
You can find information on SCAE and its certification in this page. Who wants to take part in the exams for a certification is kindly requested to report it at the time of enrollment.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE
Day one: Barista basic
- What is coffee, a bit of history and, knowledge of the different species : Arabica, robust and other hybrids.
- The coffee process: picking, stripping, mild and dry method.
- Introduction to roasting and blending. Visit to a roasting plant.
- Tasting of a good and a bad espresso, tasting different arabicas and robustas, finding differences.
- The preparation of espresso , dosing, grinding and tamping.
- The Cappuccino in theory and in practice. Milk frothing: the SCAE standards, more or less frothy, more or less hot.
- The classic Italian preparations: latte macchiato, caffèlatte, espresso macchiato , shaked coffee etc.
- An introduction to the brewing world: V60, Aeropress and other methods…
- Knowledge and cleaning of the espresso machines. Descaling, backflushing, cleaning of the grinder.
Day two: barista advanced
- What are the barista and latte art championships. Regulation and competitions.
- Introduction to professional coffee tasting: the SCAE evaluation boards, testing of several coffees in single origin, from Mexico Altura to Java to the spicy taste of the Ethiopian Sidamo.
- Practical test machine: find the right grinding degree and make a correct espresso.
- The latte art. Video, the “dry” technique and a lot of practice for the pouring of the rosetta, the heart, tulips the new rainbow cappuccinos and…
- From the world of the coffee cocktails to the new frontiers, from mocaccino to hot and icy very new proposals…
Day three: brewing
- Introduction to the new world of coffee brewing: brew ratio, timing of pour, turbulence, temperatures and other parameters.
- The best coffees for brewing
- The concept of TDS and the use of the refractometer.
- The various tools of brewing: Aeropress, V60, french press, Chemex, cold drip.
- Basic practice with these tools.
- Extractions aeropress and V60 with various coffee roasted for filter
- Modifying the grinding, brew ratio and temperature; evaluating how these parameter modify the organoleptic sensations in the cup.
At the end of the third day our Coffee route becomes really cool. The school is transformed and becomes aperitif club, with buffet and drinks (including coffee related, never tasted cold brew Negroni?). With us, and with our drinks, a guy of the coffee industry; La Marzocco, Mahlkönig, Brita and other companies telling us their secrets …
Day four: coffee roasting
- Characteristics, evaluation and defects of the green coffee with the SCAE parameters.
- Theory of roasting: different temperatures for different coffees, the roasting curves and profiles, methods of heat transfer, First Crack & Second Crack.
- The Italian coffee roasting. Practical exercises of roasting with the colorimetric system of evaluation.
- Tasting of a light and a dark roasted coffee.
- Blending: create our own blend starting from our taste or the taste of our clients. Tasting of good and a “not very good” coffees already sold in the market.
- Creating a first simple blend with two different single origine coffees.
Day five: tasting
- The aim of the coffee tasting. The organs of sense involved in coffee tasting: eyes, nose, mouth.
- What is, and how to use a coffee tasting sheet.
- Tasting Espresso, filter, brewing
- The phases of the coffee tasting: visual, olfactory, assessing, tactile and aftertaste.
- Acidity, bitterness, sweetness, mouthfeel and aromas: the use of professional terminology.
- What is it the cupping, the professional system of coffee tasting.
- Cupping of several coffees in single origine: from the robustas to the best washed arabicas…
- Tasting of several espresso in singe origine and blended.
- A little competition of cupping?
Day Six: eventual SCAE certifications.
For more information and registration please fill out the form below or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to stay overnight in Florence ask the list of the hotels affiliated with our school.
Read here the opinions about this course on TripAdvisor and read also our school diary. During the course we use also very innovative tools, discover them here. Our school is a partner of La Marzocco, one of the most famous manufacturers of coffee machines in the world. In our courses you can arrange a visit at the plant “La Marzocco” in Florence.