ONE WEEK COFFEE ROUTE. -BARISTA -ROASTING -BREWING -MANAGEMENT -TASTING
A very complete trail in coffee. We start from the green coffee beans, to the Italian barista technique regarding espresso extraction, cappuccino and latte art. Then the coffee brewing, the coffee cupping and the evaluation of the extraction with SCA parameters, we continue with an important day for who is thinking to open a business coffee related and then roasting, with a lot of practical exercises. A very deep five days long journey into the coffee world! At the end the possibility to take part to the SCA Certifications!
Are you interested in Online courses?
The coffee online courses are very easy to access, the courses are in English and hold by SCA certified trainers.
Very easy access to the course. You simply click the link we send you, and is done!
No problem taking the course with your mobile phone, tablet or computer. A leap into the future!
No problem interacting, questions and answers directly to the trainer exactly like in the classroom!
Super-complete theoretical part, with sharing of the slides and graphics on the screen with the trainer
All the practical demonstrations that you can apply immediately in your business.
Possibility of practical courses for free
- At the end the possibility to take part to the SCA Certifications!
Free Conference call one-to-one with the trainers to evaluate together your project, your idea, your location…
Manuals included in the price sent at the end of the course!
3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th of November 2020
8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th of January 2021
The complete course is six days long, always from 10 am to 5.30pm. Of course is possible to decide to take part only to the days of interest
This course is held in Florence, Tuscany, Italy, a few minutes of tram from the main station of Santa Maria Novella.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE -DAY ONE: BARISTA BASIC
- What is coffee, a bit of history and, knowledge of the different species : Arabica, robust and other hybrids.
- The coffee process: picking, stripping, mild and dry method.
- Introduction to roasting and blending. Visit to a roasting plant.
- Tasting of a good and a bad espresso, tasting different arabicas and robustas, finding differences.
- The preparation of espresso , dosing, grinding and tamping.
- The Cappuccino in theory and in practice. Milk frothing: the SCAE standards, more or less frothy, more or less hot.
- The classic Italian preparations: latte macchiato, caffèlatte, espresso macchiato , shaked coffee etc.
- An introduction to the brewing world: V60, Aeropress and other methods…
- Knowledge and cleaning of the espresso machines. Descaling, backflushing, cleaning of the grinder.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY TWO: BARISTA ADVANCED
- What are the barista and latte art championships. Regulation and competitions.
- Introduction to professional coffee tasting: the SCAE evaluation boards, testing of several coffees in single origin, from Mexico Altura to Java to the spicy taste of the Ethiopian Sidamo.
- Practical test machine: find the right grinding degree and make a correct espresso.
- The latte art. Video, the “dry” technique and a lot of practice for the pouring of the rosetta, the heart, tulips the new rainbow cappuccinos and…
- From the world of the coffee cocktails to the new frontiers, from mocaccino to hot and icy very new proposals…
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY THREE: BREWING
- Introduction to the new world of coffee brewing: brew ratio, timing of pour, turbulence, temperatures and other parameters.
- The best coffees for brewing
- The concept of TDS and the use of the refractometer.
- The various tools of brewing: Aeropress, V60, french press, Chemex, cold drip.
- Basic practice with these tools.
- Extractions aeropress and V60 with various coffee roasted for filter
- Modifying the grinding, brew ratio and temperature; evaluating how these parameter modify the organoleptic sensations in the cup.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY FOUR: COFFEE SHOP MANAGEMENT
- Segments of coffee shops: different locations, different waves
- The added values of a venue: windows, malls, dehors,
- How to plan a coffee shop business plan
- The average of incomes in a coffee shop around the world
- Right percentages of the costs of a coffee shop: food cost, employees, rents and…
- Bureaucratic routes: different countries, common paths
- Financing routes: crowdfunding and financing from companies
- The path for success: target, concept, communication, layout
- Be able to understand the hidden needs of the clients
- Products’s strategy and prices
- Increase and transmit our skill
- Communication: into and outside the shop
- The three syndromes of the opening of a coffee shop (start strong!)
- The daily management
- The new concepts
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY FIVE: COFFEE ROASTING
- Characteristics, evaluation and defects of the green coffee with the SCAE parameters.
- Theory of roasting: different temperatures for different coffees, the roasting curves and profiles, methods of heat transfer, First Crack & Second Crack.
- The Italian coffee roasting. Practical exercises of roasting with the colorimetric system of evaluation.
- Tasting of a light and a dark roasted coffee.
- Blending: create our own blend starting from our taste or the taste of our clients. Tasting of good and a “not very good” coffees already sold in the market.
- Creating a first simple blend with two different single origine coffees.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE – DAY SIX: TASTING
- The aim of the coffee tasting. The organs of sense involved in coffee tasting: eyes, nose, mouth.
- What is, and how to use a coffee tasting sheet.
- Tasting Espresso, filter, brewing
- The phases of the coffee tasting: visual, olfactory, assessing, tactile and aftertaste.
- Acidity, bitterness, sweetness, mouthfeel and aromas: the use of professional terminology.
- What is it the cupping, the professional system of coffee tasting.
- Cupping of several coffees in single origine: from the robustas to the best washed arabicas…
- Tasting of several espresso in singe origine and blended.
- A little competition of cupping?
DAY SEVEN: eventual SCA certifications.
It is possible to attend the complete route or just the days of interest. The cost of the different modules are:
- barista (2 days) 230€
- roasting (150€)
- brewing (150€)
- management (120€)
- tasting (150€)
We are pleased to offer a discount of the 15% to who wants to take part to 4 or more days lowering so the total cost of “One Week Coffee Route” from 800€ to 680€.
During, and at the end of the week is possible to book several exams for SCA certifications. The Barista Skill Foundation and Intermediate is held at the end of the second day of Barista. The certifications Roasting and Sensory Foundation are instead held the seventh day. Read about costs and rules in this page.
If you need to book a Roasting or Sensory Intermediate or Professional exam, or a Green Coffee or Brewing exam of every leve let us know, we can organise it with our authorised trainers.
Fields marked with * are mandatory