COFFEE ROASTING AND BLENDING COURSE
A course designed to give the bases of the roasting and blending technique for the Italian espresso. We start from the knowledge of green coffee, then we evaluate how to choose the right roasting machine for home or professional uses. Then we examine the various stages and profiles of roasting and how they affect the characteristics of the roasted coffee. Then practical exercises with final cupping of the roasted beans.
- August 4th, 2017
- September 22nd, 2017
- October 14th, 2017
The course is one day long, from 10 am to 5.30pm
This course is held in Florence, Tuscany, Italy, a few minutes of tram from the main train station of Santa Maria Novella, into the Mokaflor roasting company.
PROGRAM OF THE COURSE
- Characteristics, evaluation and defects of the green coffee with the SCAE parameters.
- Theory of roasting: different temperatures for different coffees, the roasting curves and profiles, methods of heat transfer, First Crack & Second Crack.
- The Italian coffee roasting. Practical exercises of roasting with the colorimetric system of evaluation.
- Tasting of a light and a dark roasted coffee.
- Blending: create our own blend starting from our taste or the taste of our clients. Tasting of good and a “not very good” coffees already sold in the market.
- Creating a first simple blend with two different single origine coffees.
The cost is 130€ including the books used during the course.
** After this course is possible to book the SCA certifications for Roasting Foundation. Read about costs and rules in this page.
If you need to book a Roasting Intermediate or Professional exam, let us know, we can organise it with our authorised trainers.
Fields marked with * are mandatory